WANT to plan your spring break? Cyprus offers great wines, fascinating Roman ruins and great views.
1. Be amazed by the Caledonia Falls in the Troodos Mountains – a beautiful waterfall that is most spectacular in spring.
2. Gaze at clear waters, great coastal views at Chrysochou Bay, Polis in the Southwest of the island. This popular beach even has a forest of eycalyptus trees just behind it plus a beach bar and restaurant.
3. Take a 30 minute tour of the modern brewery and winery in Limossol. It’s owned by KEO, who brew the island’s favourite lager as well as a good range of wines and the tour ends with a tasting session – great way to discover the best Cypriot wines.
4. Stand in the Roman stadium as you wander through the spectacular ruins at Kourion and imagine how the city must once have been. You’ll also find the house where the gladiators lived and the Temple of Apollo.
5. Enjoy the lively but laid-back nightlife in Agia Napa, also said to have the best beaches in Cyprus. The resort naturally attracts a lot of young people but, during the day there’s the old fishing port for tourists to visit too.
6. Visit the picturesque village of Valva with its old stone houses and set among rolling hills with great views of the Troodos mountains.
7. Tour the ancient Makronissos Tombs, near Agia Napa, 20 chambers cut into the limestone rock and used by the Romans.
8. Feast on moussaka or meze in the Monte Carlo restaurant in Lamaka. The best tables are on the terrace looking out over the water.
9. Marvel at the mosaics in Phoebe Mosaic Workshop in Laneia, which makes colourful copies of famous ancient designs as well as originals.
10. See superb jewellery, sculptures and ancient ceramics from the Byzantine Empire in the Cyprus Museum in Nicosia. cyprus-archaeology.org.uk/museums.htm